The shortest verse in the KJV Bible simply says… Jesus wept and can be found in John 11:35 however it is not the only verse in the Bible with 2 words.
The ‘Jesus wept’ verse gets the nod as the answer in all the quizzes out there because it has 9 letters (in English) however there is another 2-word verse in 1 Thess 5:16 that says… ‘Rejoice evermore‘ and because it has 15 letters (in English) it comes in as the second shortest verse in the Bible.
In fact, the very next verse in 1 Thess 5:17 is the third shortest verse (in the New Testament) and says… ‘Pray without ceasing’.
Some Interesting Variations And Arguments As To Why Jesus Wept Is Not The Shortest Verse In The Bible
Some point out that in the original Greek language the phrase Jesus wept has 16 letters while the term Rejoice evermore only has 14 letters. This makes for an interesting argument however I would like to draw your attention that both chapters and verses do not exist in the original language and they were only inserted into Bible translations.
So… The shortest verse can only exist in the translated versions of the Bible. If the question was phrased what is the shortest Bible verse in the Greek or the original language then the correct answer would be Rejoice evermore!
However, Jesus wept is the shortest Bible verse, the shortest in the KJV, and the shortest in the New Testament.
What Is The Shortest Verse In The Old Testament (KJV)?
In the strictest sense, the shortest verse in the Old Testament goes to 1 Chron 1:21 – Eber, Peleg, Reu.
The next verse comes in second and reads – Serug, Nahor, Terah
And verse 20 takes the third spot with – Shem, Arphaxad, Shelah
However, these are all part of the same genealogy and for some reason, the translators have divided them into different verses in this manner.
If we were to ignore the above then A serious statement like… Thou shalt not kill (Exodus 20:13) and (Deut 5:17) would take first place.
That being said, if I was at a quiz night the answer for the shortest Bible verse in the Old Testament would have to be… Eber, Peleg, Reu!
Isn’t Amen The Shortest Verse In The Bible?
No. Amen is actually the last word of the Bible but not the shortest. Most people think it stands alone in Revelation however while the verse is a short one it is not the shortest. The verse can be found in Rev 22:21 – The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
So it is definitely a contender for the shortest sentence in the Bible but not the shortest verse.
What Are The Shortest Bible Verses About Love?
Below are the 17 of the shortest verses I could find containing the word love or variations of it such as loving, loveth, and so on. By my reckoning that makes Hebrews 13:1 as the shortest Bible verse about love…
- Let brotherly love continue. (Hebrews 13:1)
- Open rebuke is better than secret love. (Prov 27:5)
- If ye love me, keep my commandments. (John 14:15)
- I hate and abhor lying: but thy law do I love. (Psalm 119:163)
- My love be with you all in Christ Jesus. Amen. (1 Cor 16:24)
- Then said the Jews, Behold how he loved him! (John 11:36)
- Who also declared unto us your love in the Spirit. (Col 1:8)
- Thou art all fair, my love; there is no spot in thee. (Sng 4:7)
- Wherefore? because I love you not? God knoweth. (2 Cor 11:11)
- But if any man love God, the same is known of him. (1 Cor 8:3)
- Hatred stirreth up strifes: but love covereth all sins. (Prov 10:12)
- He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love. (1 John 4:8)
- Now Jesus loved Martha, and her sister, and Lazarus. (John 11:15)
- But I know you, that ye have not the love of God in you. (John 5:42)
- How fair and how pleasant art thou, O love, for delights! (Sng 7:6)
- As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated. (Rom 9:13)
- Husbands, love your wives, and be not bitter against them. (Col 3:19)
In summary, Jesus Wept is the shortest verse in the Bible which also makes it the shortest verse in the New testament. A very close second is Rejoice evermore.
The shortest verse in the Old Testament is Eber, Peleg, Reu.
Amen is not the shortest verse but is the shortest sentence in the Bible.
The shortest Bible verse about love is Let brotherly love continue.
You may also be interested in 10 Plagues Of Egypt Are Similar In Revelation (Our Final Exodus) and What Is The Only Dog Breed Specifically Mentioned In The Bible
Latest posts by Bigal (see all)
- 20 Affirmations From Ephesians Chapter 2 - December 15, 2022
- 12 Biblical Events That Happened At Shiloh - December 14, 2022
- 14 Ways The Burning Bush Represents The Holy Spirit - December 14, 2022