Are you aware that most of the 10 plagues that God sent upon Egypt have similar counterparts in the book of Revelation? The Bible is an amazing book and yet again we will see how everything dovetails together…
Before we go into detail below I just want to highlight the main significance of the correlation between the two.
- The 10 plagues led to the deliverance of Israel from Egypt – therefore the exodus culminating in the parting of the Red Sea, the death of the enemy in the sea, and the first recorded song in the Bible.
- That song can be found in Exodus 15 and begins with… Then sang Moses and the children of Israel this song unto the LORD, and spake, saying, I will sing unto the LORD, for he hath triumphed gloriously: the horse and his rider hath he thrown into the sea.
- Similarly in the book of Revelation, we have plagues, the final exodus, and victory over the enemy, and we will sing the song of Moses AND the Lamb!
- And they sing the song of Moses the servant of God, and the song of the Lamb, saying, Great and marvelous are thy works, Lord God Almighty; just and true are thy ways, thou King of saints. Who shall not fear thee, O Lord, and glorify thy name? for thou only art holy: for all nations shall come and worship before thee; for thy judgments are made manifest. (Rev 15:3-4)
- Also in Exodus when the plagues come Pharoah hardens his hard and refuses to obey God or recognize his power. Similarly in Revelation after the plagues… “men blasphemed God because of the plague” (Rev 16:21).
So let’s look into it in a bit more detail…
Plague Number 1: Water Into Blood
- What Happened? All of the waters of Egypt were turned into blood. Their rivers, their streams, their ponds, their pools of water, and water in all of their vessels.
- What Was The Result? The fish that was in the river died, and the river stank, and the Egyptians could not drink of the water of the river, and there was blood throughout all the land of Egypt.
The Exodus Account Can Be Found In Exodus 7:15-21
- Highlighted Passage: Thus saith the LORD, In this thou shalt know that I am the LORD: behold, I will smite with the rod that is in mine hand upon the waters which are in the river, and they shall be turned to blood.
Water Into Blood In The Book Of Revelation
- And the second angel sounded, and as it were a great mountain burning with fire was cast into the sea: and the third part of the sea became blood. And the third part of the creatures which were in the sea, and had life, died; and the third part of the ships were destroyed.(Rev 8:8-9)
- And I will give power unto my two witnesses… These have power to shut heaven, that it rain not in the days of their prophecy: and have power over waters to turn them to blood, and to smite the earth with all plagues, as often as they will. (Rev 11:3-6)
- And the second angel poured out his vial upon the sea; and it became as the blood of a dead man: and every living soul died in the sea. (Rev 16:3)
- And the third angel poured out his vial upon the rivers and fountains of waters; and they became blood. (Rev 16:4)
Plague Number 2: Frogs
- What Happened? The river brought forth frogs in abundance and there were frogs everywhere.
- What Was The Result? Can you imagine it? Frogs inside your house everywhere, in your bedroom, on your bed, in your ovens and cookware… it would have been terrible. Then when they finally died the land stank from the smell of so many dead frogs.
The Exodus Account Can Be Found In Exodus 8:1-15
- Highlighted Passage: I will smite all thy borders with frogs: And the river shall bring forth frogs abundantly, which shall go up and come into thine house, and into thy bedchamber, and upon thy bed, and into the house of thy servants, and upon thy people, and into thine ovens, and into thy kneadingtroughs.
Frogs In The Book Of Revelation
- And I saw three unclean spirits like frogs come out of the mouth of the dragon, and out of the mouth of the beast, and out of the mouth of the false prophet. (Rev 16:13)
Plague Number 3: Lice
- What Happened? Every person got lice and every animal as well.
- What Was The Result? Can you imagine it? Just the mention of lice makes most people start scratching their heads because you imagine your head itching. But this is real lice on every person and animal… everywhere. Oh, the misery they must have felt.
The Exodus Account Can Be Found In Exodus 8:16-19
- Highlighted Passage:And they did so; for Aaron stretched out his hand with his rod, and smote the dust of the earth, and it became lice in man, and in beast; all the dust of the land became lice throughout all the land of Egypt.
Lice In The Book Of Revelation
- There is no mention of lice in Revelation however many speculate that the two witnesses already mentioned earlier in Rev 11:3-6 could do this… and to smite the earth with all plagues.
Plague Number 4: Flies
- What Happened? Swarms of flies everywhere
- What Was The Result? Once again can you imagine it? Flies all over your face, no rest from them, all over your food, in your mouth, when trying to sleep – the description says it all – Grievous swarm of flies. It says the land was corrupted (spoiled, rotten) because of the flies.
The Exodus Account Can Be Found In Exodus 8:20-32
- Highlighted Passage: And the LORD did so; and there came a grievous swarm of flies into the house of Pharaoh, and into his servants’ houses, and into all the land of Egypt: the land was corrupted by reason of the swarm of flies.
Flies In The Book Of Revelation
- Once again there is no mention of flies in Revelation however many speculate that the two witnesses already mentioned earlier in Rev 11:3-6 could do this… and to smite the earth with all plagues.
- However, there is a possible link with Rev 6:8 – And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.
- Flies are not in the actual original Hebrew more like a swarm of mixed things. This more likely still flies and mosquitoes however the Septuagint infer wild animals such as dogs, jackals, and lions. I will stick with flies however the possibility is there that this plague could match the above verse in Revelation.
Plague Number 5: Pestilence (Disease)
- What Happened? All of the cattle owned by the Egyptians were struck down with diseases.
- What Was The Result? …and all the cattle of Egypt died.
The Exodus Account Can Be Found In Exodus 9:1-7
- Highlighted Passage: Behold, the hand of the LORD is upon thy cattle which is in the field, upon the horses, upon the asses, upon the camels, upon the oxen, and upon the sheep: there shall be a very grievous murrain (pestilence).
Pestilence In The Book Of Revelation
- And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death (other translations say disease, pestilence), and with the beasts of the earth. (Rev 6:8)
Plague Number 6: Sores (Caused By Boils)
- What Happened? Every person and every animal got boils.
- What Was The Result? Can you imagine? Boils are blister-like sores. The pain was so bad the magicians who tried to imitate Moses every time a plague came couldn’t even try to imitate this one because they were in too much discomfort.
The Exodus Account Can Be Found In Exodus 9:8-11
- Highlighted Passage: And they took ashes of the furnace, and stood before Pharaoh; and Moses sprinkled it up toward heaven; and it became a boil breaking forth with blains (sores) upon man, and upon beast.
Sores In The Book Of Revelation
- And blasphemed the God of heaven because of their pains and their sores, and repented not of their deeds. (Rev 16:11)
Plague Number 7: Hail, Thunder, And Fire
- What Happened? God sent thunder and hail.
- What Was The Result? And the hail smote throughout all the land of Egypt all that was in the field, both man and beast; and the hail smote every herb of the field, and brake every tree of the field.
The Exodus Account Can Be Found In Exodus 9:22-27
- Highlighted Passage: And Moses stretched forth his rod toward heaven: and the LORD sent thunder and hail, and the fire ran along upon the ground; and the LORD rained hail upon the land of Egypt.
Hail In The Book Of Revelation
- The first angel sounded, and there followed hail and fire mingled with blood, and they were cast upon the earth: and the third part of trees was burnt up, and all green grass was burnt up. (Rev 8:7)
- And the temple of God was opened in heaven, and there was seen in his temple the ark of his testament: and there were lightnings, and voices, and thunderings, and an earthquake, and great hail.
- And there fell upon men a great hail out of heaven, every stone about the weight of a talent: and men blasphemed God because of the plague of the hail; for the plague thereof was exceeding great.
Plague Number 8: Locusts
- What Happened? God sent locusts upon Egypt.
- What Was The Result? For they covered the face of the whole earth, so that the land was darkened; and they did eat every herb of the land, and all the fruit of the trees which the hail had left: and there remained not any green thing in the trees, or in the herbs of the field, through all the land of Egypt.
The Exodus Account Can Be Found In Exodus 10:12-19
- Highlighted Passage: And the LORD said unto Moses, Stretch out thine hand over the land of Egypt for the locusts, that they may come up upon the land of Egypt, and eat every herb of the land, even all that the hail hath left.
Locusts In The Book Of Revelation
- And there came out of the smoke locusts upon the earth: and unto them was given power, as the scorpions of the earth have power. (Rev 9:3)
Plague Number 9: Darkness
- What Happened? Thick darkness came over the land so thick it was a darkness that could be felt.
- What Was The Result? It was so dark… They saw not one another, neither rose any from his place for three days.
The Exodus Account Can Be Found In Exodus 10:21-29
- Highlighted Passage: And the LORD said unto Moses, Stretch out thine hand toward heaven, that there may be darkness over the land of Egypt, even darkness which may be felt.
Darkness In The Book Of Revelation
- And the fifth angel poured out his vial upon the seat of the beast; and his kingdom was full of darkness; and they gnawed their tongues for pain. (Rev 16:10)
Plague Number 10: Death Of The Egyptian Firstborn
- What Happened? All of the firstborn children of the Egyptians died.
- What Was The Result? …a great cry throughout all the land of Egypt, such as there was none like it, nor shall be like it anymore.
The Exodus Account Can Be Found In Exodus Chapters 11-12
- Highlighted Passage: And all the firstborn in the land of Egypt shall die, from the firstborn of Pharaoh that sitteth upon his throne, even unto the firstborn of the maidservant that is behind the mill; and all the firstborn of beasts.
Death In The Book Of Revelation
- There is no specific mention in revelation of just the firstborn dying however Rev 19:19-21 – talks about the final destruction of the beast, the false prophets, the Kings of the earth and their armies, and all those who had the mark of the beast and worshipped his image.
In summary, plagues are used both in Exodus and in Revelation with similar results. Those who oppose God continue to blaspheme him, harden their hearts, and go from bad to worse. They refuse to repent and chose destruction.
God’s people are redeemed – God provides a way of escape (exodus) – and we sing a new sing just as Moses and the Israelites did when they saw the horse and rider thrown into the sea.
Finally, the plagues in Egypt also demonstrated that our God is more powerful then all of the Egyptian gods combined. Every plague targeted a god that the Egyptians would have been bowing to.
They had the goddess of the Nile who had no power to stop God turning her waters into blood, they had a number of frog-headed gods and goddesses, the lice came from Aaron striking the dust and the Egyptians had a god of the earth, and they had jackal-headed and cow-headed gods that were no match for the lice and the pestilences that came upon them.
They had a god of wisdom and as a physician who obviously was clueless for answering their prayers about the boils, they had a goddess of the sky who couldn’t stop the hail, they had numerous gods of fertility who couldn’t save their crops, numerous gods and goddesses for the sun who couldn’t stop the thick darkness, they had numerous gods for human creation, fertility, firstborn and protection of children, none of which could save their firstborn.
The plagues targeting their gods demonstrated to all that there is only one God and that is the God of Israel.
You may also be interested in… What Did Jesus Write In The Sand, and Moses Cleft Of The Rock (Glory Of God Revealed In Jesus Christ)