Continuing our Names & Titles of the Holy Spirit series in this article I am going to look at the term Holy Ghost in the Bible.
Holy Spirit vs Holy Ghost
There have been a few strange doctrines sprung up over the years over these two terms with some saying they mean different things. However, as I have previously covered there is ONE Spirit, and all the different names and titles we are examining all refer to the same Spirit.
Both Ghost and Spirit are translated from the exact same Greek word pneuma. It is just a different term for the same thing.
If someone came to you and said they were at a certain place and had seen a ghost and someone else came to you and said they were at the same place and had seen a spirit you would understand they are talking about the same thing. Ghost and Spirit mean the exact same thing.
With that out of the way let’s look at the title Holy Ghost in the scriptures and because I am using the KJV this name appears many times:
This post is rather long so I have just itemized every time Holy Ghost is mentioned in the Bible with some related scriptures. Each aspect will need a separate article at some point because they raise some interesting stuff:
Jesus Child Of The Holy Ghost (Mt 1:18-20)
- Mary was found with child of the Holy Ghost.
- For that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.
- Jesus was actually fully born of the Holy Ghost whereas we are able to be born again of the Holy Ghost.
Jesus Baptizes You With The Holy Ghost (Mat 3:11)
- John the Baptize said that he baptized with water but Jesus shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire.
- The disciples were told to wait in Jerusalem until they be endued with power from on high. For John truly baptized with water, but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence. (Acts 1:5)
- When Peter was explaining to the council how the Gentiles also received the same salvation said, Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost. (Act 11:16)
- For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit. (1 Cor 12:13)
Blaspheming Holy Ghost Unforgiveable (Mat 12:31-32)
- Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.
- And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.
Baptize in Name of Father, Son, Holy Ghost (Mat 28:19)
- The great commission… Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.
David Prophecised By Holy Ghost (Mar 12:36)
- For David himself said by the Holy Ghost, The LORD said to my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, till I make thine enemies thy footstool.
- David said… The Spirit of the LORD spake by me, and his word was in my tongue. The God of Israel said, the Rock of Israel spake to me. (2Sa 23:1-7)
Will Give You Words To Speak (Mar 13:11)
- But when they shall lead you, and deliver you up, take no thought beforehand what ye shall speak, neither do ye premeditate: but whatsoever shall be given you in that hour, that speak ye: for it is not ye that speak, but the Holy Ghost.
- For the Holy Ghost shall teach you in the same hour what ye ought to say. (Luke 12:12)
- For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you. (Mt 10:20)
- And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit was giving them utterance. (Acts 2:4)
John The Baptist (Luk 1:15)
- For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother’s womb.
Elizabeth (Luk 1:41)
- And it came to pass, that, when Elisabeth heard the salutation of Mary, the babe leaped in her womb; and Elisabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost:
Zacharias (Luk 1:67)
- And his father Zacharias (John the Baptist’s father) was filled with the Holy Ghost, and prophesied
Simeon (Luk 2:25)
- And, behold, there was a man in Jerusalem, whose name was Simeon; and the same man was just and devout, waiting for the consolation of Israel: and the Holy Ghost was upon him.
Like A Dove (Luk 3:22)
- And the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon him, and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased.
Jesus Full Of The Holy Ghost (Luk 4:1)
- And Jesus being full of the Holy Ghost returned from Jordan, and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness
Will Teach You (Jhn 14:26)
- But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
Believers Should Receive (Jhn 7:39)
- But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.
Comforter (Jhn 14:16)
- And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever.
- But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me: (Jhn 15:26)
- Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. (Jhn 16:7)
Receive Power (Act 1:8)
- But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you
- And Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit into Galilee: and there went out a fame of him through all the region round about. (Luke 4:14)
- And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high. (Luke 24:49)
- Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost. (Rom 15:13)
- Through mighty signs and wonders, by the power of the Spirit of God; so that from Jerusalem, and round about unto Illyricum, I have fully preached the gospel of Christ. (Rom 15:19)
- For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. (2 Tim 1:7)
You might also be interested in… The Miraculous Mighty Works Power Of God
Speaking in Tongues (Act 2:4)
- And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
- And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied. (Acts 19:6)
Promised (Act 2:33)
- Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear.
- That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith. (Gal 3:14)
I go into more detail about this aspect in this article: Holy Spirit of Promise (Holy Spirit Names Series)
Peter (Act 4:8)
- Then Peter, filled with the Holy Ghost, said unto them, Ye rulers of the people, and elders of Israel
Filled With The Holy Ghost (Act 4:31)
- And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness.
- And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit (Eph 5:8)
- Then Saul, (who also is called Paul,) filled with the Holy Ghost, set his eyes on him (Acts 13:9)
Don’t Lie Against The Holy Ghost (Act 5:3)
- But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land?
I go into more detail about this story in this article: Spirit of the Lord
Is A Witness (Act 5:32)
- And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him.
- The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: (Rom 8:16)
- Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before, This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them; And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more (Heb 10:15-17)
- This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth. (1 John 5:6)
- But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me: (John 15:26)
Partakers (Heb 6:4)
- For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost.
Pray (Jde 1:20)
- But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost.
- For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful. (1 Cor 14:14)
- What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also. (1 Cor 14:15)
- Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. (Rom 8:26)
Seven Men of Honest Report (Act 6:3)
- Wherefore, brethren, look ye out among you seven men of honest report, full of the Holy Ghost and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business.
Don’t Resist (Act 7:51)
- Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye.
- Quench not the Spirit. (1 Thess 5:19)
- And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption. (Eph 4:30)
Samaria Receives (Act 8:15-17)
- Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost: (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.) Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.
Laying on of Hands (Act 8:18-20)
- And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles’ hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money, Saying, Give me also this power, that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost. But Peter said unto him, Thy money perish with thee, because thou hast thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money.
- Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost. (Acts 8:17)
- And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied. (Acts 19:6)
Paul Receives (Act 9:17)
- And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house; and putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul, the Lord, even Jesus, that appeared unto thee in the way as thou camest, hath sent me, that thou mightest receive thy sight, and be filled with the Holy Ghost.
Gentiles Receive (Act 10:44-48)
- While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all of them who heard the word.
- And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Barnabas (Acts 11:24)
- For he was a good man, and full of the Holy Ghost and of faith: and much people was added unto the Lord.
Gives Speaks and Gives Instructions (Act 13:2)
- As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them.
Commands (Act 13:4)
- So they, being sent forth by the Holy Ghost, departed unto Seleucia; and from thence they sailed to Cyprus.
Forbids (Act 16:6)
- Now when they had gone throughout Phrygia and the region of Galatia, and were forbidden of the Holy Ghost to preach the word in Asia.
Prophesy (Act 19:6)
- And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.
Oversight (Act 20:28)
- Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.
Isaiah (Act 28:25)
- And when they agreed not among themselves, they departed, after that Paul had spoken one word, Well spake the Holy Ghost by Esaias the prophet unto our fathers.
Love of God (Rom 5:5)
- And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.
The Kingdom (Rom 14:17)
- For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.
Sanctified (Rom 15:16)
- That I should be the minister of Jesus Christ to the Gentiles, ministering the gospel of God, that the offering up of the Gentiles might be acceptable, being sanctified by the Holy Ghost.
Temple (1Co 6:19)
- What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
Say Lord (1Co 12:3)
- Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.
Communion (2Co 13:14)
- The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen.
Gospel (1Th 1:5)
- For our gospel came not unto you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Ghost, and in much assurance; as ye know what manner of men we were among you for your sake.
Joy (1Th 1:6)
- And ye became followers of us, and of the Lord, having received the word in much affliction, with joy of the Holy Ghost.
Renewing (Tit 3:5)
- Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost.
Gifts (Heb 2:4)
- God also bearing them witness, both with signs and wonders, and with divers miracles, and gifts of the Holy Ghost, according to his own will.
Latest posts by Bigal (see all)
- Represent Your Culture: We Are People Of Faith – Faith Culture - November 24, 2023
- The Power of Faith in Christ: Insights from Matthew 9:2 - November 24, 2023
- I Have Not Found So Great Faith, No, Not in Israel - November 24, 2023