Continuing our Names & Titles of the Holy Spirit series in this article I am going to look at all the scriptures where the Holy Spirit is referred to as the Spirit of Wisdom.
Wisdom From Above
The wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. (James 3:17)
- Pure – true, certain, sure.
- Peaceable – bring peace with it, peaceful, salutary.
- Gentle – suitable, equitable, fair, mild, moderation, patient.
- Easy To Be Intreated – easily obeying, compliant, good for persuasion.
- Full Of Mercy – kindness, goodwill, compassion.
- Full Of Good Fruits – advantages, profit, utility, good outcomes, produce good results.
- Without Partiality – impartial, without dubiousness, ambiguity, or uncertainty
- Without Hypocrisy – unfeigned, undisguised, sincere
Filled with the Spirit of Wisdom
And thou shalt speak unto all that are wise hearted, whom I have filled with the spirit of wisdom, that they may make Aaron’s garments to consecrate him, that he may minister unto me in the priest’s office. (Exo 28:3)
The wise-hearted among the children of Israel were this way because God filled them with the spirit of wisdom. This gave them the knowledge and abilities to perform special tasks such as making the garments for the priesthood according to God’s instructions.
Joshua Was Full of the Spirit of Wisdom
And Joshua the son of Nun was full of the spirit of wisdom; for Moses had laid his hands upon him: and the children of Israel hearkened unto him, and did as the LORD commanded Moses. (Deu 34:9)
Joshua was full of the Spirit of Wisdom as he took over from Moses and led the children of Israel into the promised land. We can only imagine the difficulties associated with leading so many people, traveling, fighting the enemy, and so on.
The Spirit of Wisdom Rests on Jesus
And there shall come forth a rod out of the stem of Jesse, and a Branch shall grow out of his roots: And the spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD. (Isa 11:1-2)
Jesus was the Son of David, the Branch that grew out of the stem of Jesse and no one could match his wisdom. So much so that he was greater than Solomon in wisdom…
The queen of the south shall rise up in the judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: for she came from the uttermost parts of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and, behold, a greater than Solomon is here. (Mt 12:42)
May Give Unto You the Spirit of Wisdom
That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him: (Eph 1:17)
Where is wisdom? In the knowledge of Jesus – that is true wisdom.
The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints, And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power. (Eph 1:18-19)
- That you may know the hope of Jesus calling
- That you may know the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints
- That you may know the exceeding greatness of his power toward believers
For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom
But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom… (1 Cor 12:7-8)
If You Lack Wisdom Ask God
If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. (James 1:5)
- God gives wisdom liberally to all who ask. Liberally means: simply, openly, frankly, and sincerely.
- And he upbraideth not – to defame, rail at, chide, taunt.
You see, God doesn’t mock our situation. He doesn’t call us a dummy or laugh saying don’t you know that? Humans can belittle us when we ask but not God. He gives wisdom to us simply and sincerely.
Latest posts by Bigal (see all)
- Represent Your Culture: We Are People Of Faith – Faith Culture - November 24, 2023
- The Power of Faith in Christ: Insights from Matthew 9:2 - November 24, 2023
- I Have Not Found So Great Faith, No, Not in Israel - November 24, 2023