Continuing our Names & Titles of the Holy Spirit series in this article I am going to look at all the scriptures where the Holy Spirit is referred to as the Spirit of Adoption.
Ye Have Received the Spirit of Adoption
For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together. (Rom 8:14-17)
There is quite a lot of info in these verses so let’s itemize each one:
- If you are led by the Spirit of God you are a child of God.
- You have not received the spirit of bondage. (The condition of a slave)
- But you have received the Spirit of adoption. (Are now children of God)
- We cry Abba, Father (Slaves would say, master. Children can say, Father)
- The Spirit gives witness that we are the children of God.
- As children, we are now heirs.
- We are heirs of God (We are in his will and testament)
- We are joint heirs with Christ
Yes, you are now a member of the family with all the rights that a family member has!
That We Might Receive the Adoption of Sons
But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law, To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons. And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father. Wherefore thou art no more a servant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ. (Gal 4:4-7)
Just in case what Paul wrote in the book of Romans hasn’t sunk in he lets us know again in the book of Galatians:
- God sent Jesus so that we might receive the adoption of sons.
- And because you are sons we can call him Abba, Father.
- Wherefore we are no more servants.
- But we are children.
- And as such we are heirs of God through Christ.
Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you. (Jhn 15:15)
Predestinated Us Unto the Adoption of Children
Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will, To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved. (Eph 1:5-6)
- God predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself – It is your destiny to become a child of God. Fulfill your destiny!
- Why did God do this? For his good pleasure. God wanted to adopt you as his child.
- What for? So we can be the praise of the glory of his grace.
- He has made us accepted in the beloved.
- to be highly favored
- to honor with blessings
- indue with special honor
Indeed, what an honor it is to be adopted into God’s family and to be called a child of God.
You may also be interested in… What Does The Lord Love?
Latest posts by Bigal (see all)
- 20 Affirmations From Ephesians Chapter 2 - December 15, 2022
- 12 Biblical Events That Happened At Shiloh - December 14, 2022
- 14 Ways The Burning Bush Represents The Holy Spirit - December 14, 2022